LCE Architects were appointed to undertake the design and project management of this very complicated conversion of roof level offices above an existing working hotel (the Rubens) into a new concept Boutique Hotel of 18 five star suites and an executive lounge for Red Carnation Hotels. The décor and service was designed to echo a “club-like” atmosphere and has been described as “some of the best designed and most high-tech rooms in the capital” (Times, Focus 2, Business Travel, 12/05/00).
The site was originally redeveloped between 1890 and 1906 and occupied by the Rubens in 1912. The 5th floor, the current location of no 41, had been offices which occupied the original ballrooms for the Rubens, boasting two fine glass lanterns, one used for the executive lounge in the conversion and the other for a spectacular master suite. Some of the suites are across two floors, and the executive lounge has a mezzanine level to take maximum advantage of the height of the existing ballrooms. The project including the provision of a new sub-station supported on the original Edwardian structure, the threading of new services from the fifth floor through the Rubens Hotel and improving the dedicated access to the fifth floor. All this took place within a very tight construction period which resulted in the use of prefabricated lightweight bathrooms craned-in through the roof and trolleyed into place for speed of construction and to bring the element forward in the programme.
LCE assisted the owner in the development of the Interior Design.