Renovation of Grade II Listed former artist studio dating from 1905 into state of the art recording studio for private client.
LCE Architects were appointed to convert this Grade II Listed building into a state of the art recording studio. The principle challenge for the team was to implement all the technologies and acoustic fittings required to ensure the best performance for a recording music studio, a fully sealed and air conditioned building with three phase supply and very high levels of sound insulation, in the context of an existing listed building that rightly required key elements of the building to be retained and refurbished.
The original studio dates back to 1905 and was built for Ida Constance Verner, a local artist. The building had fallen into disrepair, with the roof in danger of collapse. The two party walls, running the entire length of the building and dating back to the 1830s, are constructed of “ancient” shingle and lime mortar and were carefully restored under the supervision of England ornamental plastering. Internally we were able to recreate the use of multiple skylights within the structure as well as re-use original feature details that have survived and to recreate the original damaged plaster cornice cherubs and decorative skylight surrounds.
The principle features of the design externally are firstly how it sits in the ground, to provide additional height for the studio in a listed building the ground floor was lowered, with a ramp extending the full width of the front facade; and secondly the re-instatement of the copper roof and its multiple roof lights.
The project also included the restoration & relocation of a memorial cross to Wilford Cole Verner, brother to the artist who built the original studio.
The completed studio was rigorously tested to prove a sound emission of 130DB without disturbing the neighbours.