LCE Architects were appointed to carry out a major refurbishment and extension of this well known 176 bedroom hotel opposite Buckingham Palace for Red Carnation Hotels.
Stage 1, divided into a number of phases, was to up-grade an existing 3 star hotel to a 4 star standard, and stage 2 was to redevelop the rest of the “island” site on which the Rubens sits (in two phases).
The works comprised the following:
- Phase 1: Refurbishment of the back of house and public areas including the bar, restaurant and lounge.
- Phase 2: Refurbishment of 100 bedrooms/bathrooms including air-conditioning.
- Phases 3 & 4: Refurbishment of the remaining bedrooms and the reception/lobby.
- Phase 1: Conversion of existing shops to a conference suite with two small shops on Buckingham Palace Road;
- Phase 2: Conversion of an existing restaurant into a South African theme wine bar for Red Carnation Hotels.
This total refurbishment of the hotel, with substantial additions over the “island” site, took place over a period of 6 years, and the hotel remained open throughout. Since then LCE have been involved in further smaller projects such as additional flag poles, a new canopy and sundry other work over a total period of 15 years.
LCE assisted the owner in the development of the Interior Design.