A major refurbishment of this Grade II Listed five star hotel overlooking Kensington Gardens. LCE assisted the hotel owner, an Interior Designer, in the separate theming of all 58 rooms along with new decor refurbishment of most of the front and back of house areas.
Phase 2 was the conversion of no 3 Kensington Court into 6 apartments managed by the Hotel. Phase 3 was for the addition of a traditional styled purpose designed conservatory in the court yard. The current hotel is converted from two Grade II houses: no 1 Kensington Court designed by J J Stevenson and built in 1883/84 in the Flemish revival manner in red brick with pink terracotta dressings. No 2, architecturally working very much in sympathy with no 1, designed contemporainiously by Sir T G Jackson with a “Dutch” gable front on Kensington Road. A further phase incorporated no 3 Kensington Court, one of a terrace of houses also designed by J J Stevenson 1880’s in the ‘Queen Anne’ style with red brick and terra-cotta enrichments.
Although the hotel had been refurbished in 1992 due to fire damage, we found that through lack of maintenance, most of the service infrastructure had deteriorated and needed replacing, expanding the original project of introducing a new style of interior décor. The work proceeded on a fast track programme and the Contractor was on site within a month of the Client purchasing the property. We were involved in a rolling programme of works, allowing the hotel to continue to operate throughout. The new conservatory required listed building consent and careful logistics in its execution due to limited access and limited space between the conservatory and the existing hotel.
LCE assisted the owner in the development of the Interior Design.