A major refurbishment of this Grade II Listed Bloomsbury Terrace, from a 3 star to 4 star 104 bedroom Hotel, near the British Museum, known as the Montague on the Gardens.
The houses of Montague Street were constructed between 1803 and 1806 by W.E. Allen, builder, to designs by James Halliburton Burton [1761-1837] over the gardens of Montague House and are Grade II listed. They were private houses until the turn of the 20th century when they became lodging houses and before establishing itself as the Montague Hotel in 1928.
Red Carnations took over the Hotel in 1996 and set about transforming it into a four star deluxe property complete with garden facing conservatories, wood deck, terrace and 11 individually decorated suites, appointing LCE as architects.
The building works were divided into four phases over 5 years, and all undertaken whilst the Hotel remained in operation.
- Phase 1: Public Areas, including Bar, Restaurant, Lounge and Reception and 74 bedrooms
- Phase 2: 30 bedrooms.
- Phase 3: Gym.
- Phase 4: A new conservatory on a raised ground floor terrace at the rear of the Hotel that went to Appeal to obtain Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent.
LCE assisted the owner in the development of the Interior Design.