The new sports pavilion is Phase 7 of the University of Brightons Falmer Campus Redevelopment Masterplan. It replaces the existing dilapidated temporary changing rooms and offers much needed improved sporting and changing facilities.
The proposed new building is a two storey structure with a gross internal floor area of 570m² and is set nestled into the existing banked landscape.
The scale of the building reflects its use and setting and has been designed to provide a well balanced focal point whilst being sympathetic to its surroundings.
The accommodation comprises:
- 2no accessible changing rooms each with a capacity of 18 persons and
- 8no standard changing rooms each with a capacity of 20 persons
- 2no official changing rooms each with a capacity of 3 persons
- 4no sports seminar rooms with a total capacity of 80 persons
- Lobby and vending area
- Toilet facilities including an accessible toilet
- First aid room
- An external terraced area suitable for use by spectators
- The layout of the building has been carefully designed and takes account of recommendations given by Sports England and as set out in their design guide “Pavilions and Clubhouses”
The building is designed to achieve high environmental standards and an array of photovoltaic cells occupy the roof area.